I Googled my head off for help with this last night and couldn’t come up with anything, so I thought I’d put this out there for those of you who want to put your head through your monitor because Captivate is driving you insane.
Yesterday I was editing a recording I made in Adobe Captivate 2. It was only 18 frames, about 7 minutes long, and is a demo of a system we use at work. Should have been a slam dunk.
For the most part, everything went fine until I published the file to SWF with HTML. But when I played back the published file, at about the 5th frame, the audio gained a very pronounced echo which lasted a couple frames, and then left the rest of the audio sounding like it was in a tin can.
I figured, “hmm… must be a glitch,” so I published it again. Same thing, but this time the problems happened on different frames.
I tried publishing again after changing a couple publishing settings: same effect – screwed up audio on different frames. Each time I published (about 8 times total) the audio was screwed up in a different way, and I never edited the file between publishes.
Needless to say I was a bit frustrated.
I tossed out a rather annoyed email to a co-worker, who responded this morning with the answer (and it’s at this point that I have to say to her again: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!).
The Edit Audio Timing window lets you grab a slider indicating the start time for an effect or frame change. Grab any one of those sliders and move it slightly (my suggestion is to be more zoomed in than shown here so you really are only moving it slightly). Click OK, then republish and everything comes out fine.
One thing you might want to do is verify that none of the timing of objects on your slides changed. It could happen, so make sure you check.
Why this works is a mystery to me, but there you have it. Hope it helps someone.
[UPDATE: Thanks to commenter Ericka, below, here are a few more tips for things that might help in similar situations.]Tags: adobe captivate 2, audio, e-learning, error, recording, slide timing, software, troubleshooting