About me

I'm a geek working as a distance learning specialist for a large corporation.

My Pandora "radio station" profile
This is my favorite way to listen to music now.

My Yahoo "radio station"
(Unfortunately, only works in IE.)

Shopping

Looking to purchase something online? Support Caddickisms by going through one of these links:

Caddickisms Store

Amazon.com

Calendar

November 2008
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829

Topics

Posts by month

Around the site

The Tech Effect | LeadershipJournal.net The issues of how - and whether - to integrate technology into training go beyond the borders of corporate training or academia. The same issues confrontMedia and technology issues for learning and persuasion

Ever since "Ikea" popped up on one of my Pandora stations months ago, it's been one of my favorites. Every time I hear or see words like "Ikea," "Thor," or "Norsemen"Tuesday TubeWatch: Ikea and Jonathan Coulton

[caption id="attachment_893" align="alignright" width="253" caption="It's funnier when you hear the song."][/caption] Aquaman. Of all the Justice League characters, he is perhaps the most ignored. The most ridiculed. To be fair, he talks toAquaman: Lover, Fighter, or just all wet?

Star Wars: The Clone Wars | Star Wars: The Clone Wars In Theaters and on Television in 2008 The Clone Wars animated series is going to start with a theatrical release! ThisSend In The Clones!!!!

This is one of a series of articles I wrote for The Coalition of Awesomeness blog some time ago. The blog has since gone to an unfortunate (but very awesome)Who do you serve, and who do you trust?

The Players: Dad - in the upstairs office, working Mom - ...indisposed 3-year old, aka "Little Mommy" - playing in playroom 2-year old, aka "Stinky" - playing in playroom So I'm sitting in my office,Little Mommy drops the... um... ball

Well, what do you know? The first trailer for X-Men 3 actually looks good! I was really worried with all the rumors I'd been hearing. Now I'm looking forward toX-3 trailer up

Slice of Scifi - Science Fiction TV & Movie News, Interviews & more » Animated Star Wars Moving Along The animated Star Wars series is on track. Some tidbits from RonAnimated Star Wars - gettin' ready to rock

I thought I was done with posting about Watchmen. But then I found this: There are a huge number of these Marvel vs. DC clips, and a lot of them areTuesday TubeWatch: the final Watchmen-related post

Thor. So... Thor. Let me tell you... my back was so Thor after I spent all that time sitting in the theater. Thank you! Tip your waiters! Okay, seriously. I saw Thor tonight. AndReview: Thor

Writer's Blog: J.K. Rowling vs. Airport Security Somebody in the TSA has got to get a grip. [tag]J.K. Rowling[/tag] tried to return home recently and had a run-in with [tag]airport security[/tag]: Airport securityHarry Potter and the Paper-Cut Terrorist

Two "robots" found on YouTube today... One: paint this dark grey and it would be the coolest homemade AT-ST (All Terrian-Scout Transport) Halloween costume on the block. Just add a WookieYouTube robots

Free Royalty Free Music Loops, Free Royalty Free Sound Effects A couple months ago we completed the first four podcasts our company has produced, for internal training purposes. I've mentioned previouslyFree Music & sound effects for podcasts

Easter is here! Aside from the obvious (and vastly more important) message, there are three notable things about church this morning: As a member of the choir, I have to be atHallelujah!

If you were the head of a movie company, which movies would you choose to spend $1.5 million per 30 seconds to advertise during the Super Bowl—an event watched primarilyTuesday TubeWatch: Super Bowl Movie Roundup

Not for the queasy – where to get sick

If you’re not a parent or don’t want to talk about the logistics of sickness, move along… nothing to see here.

You’ve been warned.

So after Thanksgiving dinner was over and we were all about to head home, my nephew got sick. Really sick. Suddenly and explosively. And voluminously. It was very surprising, so for a second everyone just stood there not sure what to do. (I feel bad for my nephew, too. Not only is it not a lot of fun to be sick, but to have your entire extended family standing there staring at you when you do couldn’t have helped.)

When people got over the shock and reacted, and it was obvious it wasn’t over yet, the first snap decision that had to be made was where to take him to continue his purge. It’s here that I want to dwell today.

So the options were:

• Stay where he was: in the dining room, which he had already soiled, with its hard-wood floor.
  • Move to the next room, the kitchen, where the dishes were mostly, if not completely, done.
  • Try to make it up the split-level stairs and down the hallway to the bathroom. The entirety of that trip is carpeted.

On the way home, my wife and I were debating the best action to have taken. My vote was for the kitchen. Her vote was to stay where he was (which, incidentally, is what happened). We both had valid arguments to back up our positions.

My position is: contain as much of the mess as possible with minimal movement and maximum “cleanability.” That means getting to a toilet, sink, or trash can as quickly as possible. In this case, given that the kitchen was one room away, I’d have gone with the kitchen sink. The kitchen trash can was also a possibility, but given the situation it was probably full. Speed is not the hallmark of someone getting sick, especially a child, so it would be the adult’s job to move him/her, even if that means picking them up or dragging them (safely, of course).

My wife’s position is to stay where he was because the mess is already there after the first explosion. Better to clean one location than two.

Her problem with my position is that there’s a real chance the next spew could happen in transit, plus she thought there would be splashback that could escape the sink and cause a larger cleanup. Both valid points, but I stand by my preference.

My problem with her position is that you’re creating a deeper, and probably more significant, mess in the one location. I’d rather clean smaller messes in more locations than a huge, saturated mess in one. It’s also more likely that a significant amount of material will end up coating the sick person and their clothes, which completely grosses me out. As the sick person, one of the worst things to have happen was finally to be done with the unpleasantness and then get a nose full of soiled shirt wiping itself on my hair on its way by. Getting to a container minimizes, if not completely avoids that problem.

So, I leave it to you, the brave few who got through this post, to settle our dispute. Which way would you handle the situation? Vote below, and support your decision (or propose other options) in the comments.

What do you do when your child is vomiting? (click for related post)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Tags: , , , ,

9 comments to Not for the queasy – where to get sick

• I always like to have a barf bucket on hand.

witchypoos latest blog post..It’s all in the numbers

Jeff says:

Good policy. That’s one I should have listed.

• I’d ALWAYS vote no to vomit in the kitchen sink, that is a hygene issue (can you tell my dad is a doctor and mum a nurse).

My oldest had bad reflux until early this year when it seemed to disappear after years of medication. She would vomit huge amounts and our response was to leave her where she was and run for a container (usually a plastic bag). Once we had a container for her to barf into then an adult carried her to the bathroom.

After years of practice this was a finely tuned operation for hubby, daughter and I, it was something we did at least twice a week and always after a party.

I’m massively relieved that we have not had to do it in months.

Jeff says:

First of all… that sounds like a lot of work, and not a lot of fun. Even I’m relieved that’s over for you, and we’ve never even met!

Second… okay, the hygiene issue is one that my wife brought up as well. I’m not convinced, though, that a good cleaning won’t take care of that. Still, I see the point.

Marita says:

:grin: we were always the first to leave parties so annie wouldn’t disgrace herself on the host families carpets :grin:

A good clean will take care of vomit in the kitchen but from experience a good clean is lengthy and tedious and there are LOTS more nooks and crannies for the vomit to get into. And thus if for some reason this is an infectious bug and not merely a reaction to overeating then there is more chance that others will get sick.

• Jon

Ugh. I like the kitchen sink idea, just because I hate the idea of trying to scoop/sweep vomit off a hardwood floor. I can handle liquid, and I can handle solid, but what exactly do you do with something in between? Can’t really sweep it up, can’t really soak it up.

Jeff says:

Yep, I’m right with you. Every time I start to think about I get more grossed out. Inevitably it’s going to get in my fingers, and… eeech.

• Pam (i.e.his wife)

A. I want to say that I noticed that your position took a paragraph to defend, while mine was given one sentence. So, I’m here to clarify and to defend my point a little bit.

B. It should be said that our sister-in-law has a small kitchen (and no dishwasher!), which she and others had spent a good amount of time cleaning up. Would NOT have considered moving the sick child into this room. No matter what anyone thought. (Jeff!)

C. My biggest problem with your position: I’m normally the one doing the clean-up anyway.

D. I like what Marita said about bringing a container to the child. I’m not anti-container! I just can’t see the point of dragging the child through more of the house to get to one.

E. I also agree with what she said about the germ issue involved in using the kitchen sink as a receptacle. (I”m sorry that you had to deal with that issue for so long. That must have been hard for all of you!)

F. What I proposed at the end of the discussion (and still recommend): Next time one of our kids throws up — if I’m the one on the scene, I’ll handle it my way. If you’re the one there, do it your way. (One amendment: If you do it your way, you handle the clean up!)

Jeff says:

Okay… you wanna go point by point… I’m game. ;)

A. Your position is easier to describe. No slight intended, but clarification is appreciated.
    B. Size of the room is irrelevant to the general discussion. Effort involved in prior cleaning… maybe some small relevance, but in this scenario there’s more cleanup no matter which way you go, so I’m gonna say that’s irrelevant too.
    C. Irrelevant to the general discussion. That’s a specific issue with you and me. And one I’m happy to lose. :)
    D. Yep, the container coming to the kid is good. I’d go with that. Having a container handy is key, though. What do you do when one isn’t available?
    E. As I said to Marita, a good cleaning should be able to deal with the hygiene issue, though your point is taken.
    F. Again, that’s between us and not so much relevant to the general discussion, but since we’re going public… if you’re there ALONE feel free to do whatever you want. If I’m there to help don’t expect me to be thrilled about doing it in a manner with which I disagree while you’re saying “Oh, Jeff! Help!” :) And if I’m there alone, I’d expect I’d be doing the cleanup, yeah.

So, to summarize: D and E are relevant and good but “discussable” points. A, B, C, and F – interesting thoughts, but irrelevant.

Btw… thanks for being the best wife ever. :) (PS: Can I sleep in the bed tonight?)