About me

I'm a geek working as a distance learning specialist for a large corporation.

My Pandora "radio station" profile
This is my favorite way to listen to music now.

My Yahoo "radio station"
(Unfortunately, only works in IE.)

Shopping

Looking to purchase something online? Support Caddickisms by going through one of these links:

Caddickisms Store

Amazon.com

Calendar

November 2008
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829

Topics

Posts by month

Around the site

Other heroes may be dark, brooding and intelligent, or invincible super-nice guys, but no one is as fun to watch as Spider-Man. More than most other super-heroes, he seems likeRadioactive Spider Blood - Tuesday TubeWatch

This is one of a series of articles I wrote for The Coalition of Awesomeness blog some time ago. The blog has since gone to an unfortunate (but very awesome)The gift of music

I know I'm going to get some hate mail, or at least some dirty looks, for putting this out there, but I'm just the messenger. Reality is what reality is. WomenStating the obvious: women can't park

Just prior to its theatrical release, I read the book upon which Martin Scorsese's Hugo is based, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret." The book is a beautiful story, told inReview: Hugo (and The Invention of Hugo Cabret)

For loyal readers (all 1 of you, including me), let me apologize for the dearth of posts lately. My second daughter was born recently and I was therefore otherwise engaged.Back from break

I've posted before about the Green Lantern movie(s) in the works. No cast has been announced, no real information has come to my attention at all about the live actionNathan Fillion as Green Lantern? - Tuesday TubeWatch

Bungie.net : Games : Halo 3 Oh, man. Go check out the trailer. Seriously. I want to play this thing, and I haven't even played Halo 2 yet. It makes me thinkHalo 3 trailer

Back in 2004 we were awaiting the birth of our first daughter. I was also beginning to teach myself how to write music around then. And I did a lot"This Child" isn't who you think

Over Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I foisted my 2 kids on my parents and ran for the hills, totally taking advantage of my parents' generosity to spend 6Double Review: Narnian royalty return to take down Indiana Jones

For a story about a groundbreaking mathematical proof, Proof had virtually zero math in it. If you ask me, that's a good thing. Let me put my review in the form ofReview: Proof

I wrote before about the problem I have with showing my daughters the Star Wars series (well, some of them). It's difficult to decide what order to show them whichStar Wars Conundrum: Sorted

In the 7 day challenge, today's topic is: Answer one question I think people visiting my blog may have. Let's be honest: I have no idea what question you guys/gals mayHow geeky are you, really? - 7 day challenge

Agassi's final 8 minutes on court Andre Agassi played his last professional match on Sunday, September 3, 2006. Check out the link above if, like me, you were unable to seeAgassi: Goodbye to a legend

Alex & Emma is a thoroughly predictable love story with half-realized characters and little to no tension. Luke Wilson was boring and a bit unnatural in his acting (his brotherReview: Alex & Emma

YouTube - Batusi Ah, the days when Batman was picking up chicks in bars, while Robin watched from the car. Smooth moves, Batman... smooth moves. [tags]Batman, YouTube, dancing, 1960's[/tags]Batman: Smooth Operator

Not for the queasy – where to get sick

If you’re not a parent or don’t want to talk about the logistics of sickness, move along… nothing to see here.

You’ve been warned.

So after Thanksgiving dinner was over and we were all about to head home, my nephew got sick. Really sick. Suddenly and explosively. And voluminously. It was very surprising, so for a second everyone just stood there not sure what to do. (I feel bad for my nephew, too. Not only is it not a lot of fun to be sick, but to have your entire extended family standing there staring at you when you do couldn’t have helped.)

When people got over the shock and reacted, and it was obvious it wasn’t over yet, the first snap decision that had to be made was where to take him to continue his purge. It’s here that I want to dwell today.

So the options were:

• Stay where he was: in the dining room, which he had already soiled, with its hard-wood floor.
  • Move to the next room, the kitchen, where the dishes were mostly, if not completely, done.
  • Try to make it up the split-level stairs and down the hallway to the bathroom. The entirety of that trip is carpeted.

On the way home, my wife and I were debating the best action to have taken. My vote was for the kitchen. Her vote was to stay where he was (which, incidentally, is what happened). We both had valid arguments to back up our positions.

My position is: contain as much of the mess as possible with minimal movement and maximum “cleanability.” That means getting to a toilet, sink, or trash can as quickly as possible. In this case, given that the kitchen was one room away, I’d have gone with the kitchen sink. The kitchen trash can was also a possibility, but given the situation it was probably full. Speed is not the hallmark of someone getting sick, especially a child, so it would be the adult’s job to move him/her, even if that means picking them up or dragging them (safely, of course).

My wife’s position is to stay where he was because the mess is already there after the first explosion. Better to clean one location than two.

Her problem with my position is that there’s a real chance the next spew could happen in transit, plus she thought there would be splashback that could escape the sink and cause a larger cleanup. Both valid points, but I stand by my preference.

My problem with her position is that you’re creating a deeper, and probably more significant, mess in the one location. I’d rather clean smaller messes in more locations than a huge, saturated mess in one. It’s also more likely that a significant amount of material will end up coating the sick person and their clothes, which completely grosses me out. As the sick person, one of the worst things to have happen was finally to be done with the unpleasantness and then get a nose full of soiled shirt wiping itself on my hair on its way by. Getting to a container minimizes, if not completely avoids that problem.

So, I leave it to you, the brave few who got through this post, to settle our dispute. Which way would you handle the situation? Vote below, and support your decision (or propose other options) in the comments.

What do you do when your child is vomiting? (click for related post)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Tags: , , , ,

9 comments to Not for the queasy – where to get sick

• I always like to have a barf bucket on hand.

witchypoos latest blog post..It’s all in the numbers

Jeff says:

Good policy. That’s one I should have listed.

• I’d ALWAYS vote no to vomit in the kitchen sink, that is a hygene issue (can you tell my dad is a doctor and mum a nurse).

My oldest had bad reflux until early this year when it seemed to disappear after years of medication. She would vomit huge amounts and our response was to leave her where she was and run for a container (usually a plastic bag). Once we had a container for her to barf into then an adult carried her to the bathroom.

After years of practice this was a finely tuned operation for hubby, daughter and I, it was something we did at least twice a week and always after a party.

I’m massively relieved that we have not had to do it in months.

Jeff says:

First of all… that sounds like a lot of work, and not a lot of fun. Even I’m relieved that’s over for you, and we’ve never even met!

Second… okay, the hygiene issue is one that my wife brought up as well. I’m not convinced, though, that a good cleaning won’t take care of that. Still, I see the point.

Marita says:

:grin: we were always the first to leave parties so annie wouldn’t disgrace herself on the host families carpets :grin:

A good clean will take care of vomit in the kitchen but from experience a good clean is lengthy and tedious and there are LOTS more nooks and crannies for the vomit to get into. And thus if for some reason this is an infectious bug and not merely a reaction to overeating then there is more chance that others will get sick.

• Jon

Ugh. I like the kitchen sink idea, just because I hate the idea of trying to scoop/sweep vomit off a hardwood floor. I can handle liquid, and I can handle solid, but what exactly do you do with something in between? Can’t really sweep it up, can’t really soak it up.

Jeff says:

Yep, I’m right with you. Every time I start to think about I get more grossed out. Inevitably it’s going to get in my fingers, and… eeech.

• Pam (i.e.his wife)

A. I want to say that I noticed that your position took a paragraph to defend, while mine was given one sentence. So, I’m here to clarify and to defend my point a little bit.

B. It should be said that our sister-in-law has a small kitchen (and no dishwasher!), which she and others had spent a good amount of time cleaning up. Would NOT have considered moving the sick child into this room. No matter what anyone thought. (Jeff!)

C. My biggest problem with your position: I’m normally the one doing the clean-up anyway.

D. I like what Marita said about bringing a container to the child. I’m not anti-container! I just can’t see the point of dragging the child through more of the house to get to one.

E. I also agree with what she said about the germ issue involved in using the kitchen sink as a receptacle. (I”m sorry that you had to deal with that issue for so long. That must have been hard for all of you!)

F. What I proposed at the end of the discussion (and still recommend): Next time one of our kids throws up — if I’m the one on the scene, I’ll handle it my way. If you’re the one there, do it your way. (One amendment: If you do it your way, you handle the clean up!)

Jeff says:

Okay… you wanna go point by point… I’m game. ;)

A. Your position is easier to describe. No slight intended, but clarification is appreciated.
    B. Size of the room is irrelevant to the general discussion. Effort involved in prior cleaning… maybe some small relevance, but in this scenario there’s more cleanup no matter which way you go, so I’m gonna say that’s irrelevant too.
    C. Irrelevant to the general discussion. That’s a specific issue with you and me. And one I’m happy to lose. :)
    D. Yep, the container coming to the kid is good. I’d go with that. Having a container handy is key, though. What do you do when one isn’t available?
    E. As I said to Marita, a good cleaning should be able to deal with the hygiene issue, though your point is taken.
    F. Again, that’s between us and not so much relevant to the general discussion, but since we’re going public… if you’re there ALONE feel free to do whatever you want. If I’m there to help don’t expect me to be thrilled about doing it in a manner with which I disagree while you’re saying “Oh, Jeff! Help!” :) And if I’m there alone, I’d expect I’d be doing the cleanup, yeah.

So, to summarize: D and E are relevant and good but “discussable” points. A, B, C, and F – interesting thoughts, but irrelevant.

Btw… thanks for being the best wife ever. :) (PS: Can I sleep in the bed tonight?)