Three years ago today, at 11:48pm, I wrote these amazingly insightful words:
Friday, December 9th, 2005
Looks like I am officially blogging. I am too cool for words. (Ironic, isnâ€™t it.)
Thusly did this, my first blogging experience, begin. Pretty sad, really, but there you have it. Now here we are, three years and over 400 posts later, and I figure it’s about time I looked back to see if I’ve ever written anything worth reading. (I figure I must have said something worthwhile at some point. It can’t be complete inanity, can it?)
To that end, here is a list of the posts I’ve written over the last three years that I think are worth a second look, roughly broken by category.
Comics (not much to choose from here, really)
Corporate World/Learning (there’s too much overlap between these to justify separating them for this purpose)
- Technical writers, pay attention
- A series reviewing Oprah’s “A New World” online training with Eckhart Tolle: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
- Alice: Through the Monitor (or Creating new worlds for Novices)
- How to leave a lasting legacy
- Corporate Gaming: Recruiting and Training – this is a subject I should actually get back to at some point.
- Media and Technology issues for Learning and Persuasion
- Re-igniting Passion – This is a personal favorite
- Fight trolls with math!
- e-Learning Glitz: Misunderstanding video games
- Instructional Design reminders – This one actually shows up in a resource list on The Learned Man
Movies & TV (includes Reviews & Sci-Fi)
- Doctor Who reviews: 2005 & 2006, 2007, and 2008
- The best cancelled shows
- Review: The Second Chance – A movie by Steve Taylor with Michael W. Smith in the lead? Could this possibly be good?
- 11 minutes ago – I still want to see this full movie.
- Review: The Spider-Man Trilogy
- Top 10 most quotable geek films
- Review: The Prince of Egypt (and a quick review of the trailer)
- Review: Crash
- Review: Superman Returns
- Review: Justice League
- Crusade: What would have happened
Hmm… honestly this category is pretty new and I like almost all the posts. If I had to choose just three though:
- MTV Yearbook – where does it take you?
- Five songs that altered my perceptions
- I’m a prejudiced idiot
- What futility doesnâ€™t feel like
- C.S. Lewis on living by hope
- Some people have REALLY short fuses
- Stuck in the office (or your in-lawsâ€™ house) during Christmas week? – Christmas Specials!
- Look out for the edge!? What edge?
- Swiping a sirloin is certainly stupid
- What Iâ€™ve been thinking
- Pennsylvania Gas Prices – Find Cheap Gas Prices in Pennsylvania – I actually use this all the time
- Does a sex offender live near you?
- Impairment while driving on phone > drunk driving and the related Cell phones + driving = drunk Driving
- Bryce Zabel: Those who can, teach
- Traffic jams
- Stop everything
- Kids in the movie theater
- Facebook points to the past, and I consider the future
- Grilled cheese and the science of successive approximation
- Little Mommy moments
- Little Mommy drops the… um… ball
- Bad parenting confessions
- The Silence of the Lamb – actually my wife wrote this one.
- Why I don’t have a dog
- I want to end my life, but I’m too lazy
- Saving 12% in interest in 10 minutes and its off-site follow-up: Don’t make the Dr. Evil error of assuming
- Unexpected costs, things that have broken lately, and lessons learned
- Why I hate unions
- Is a meal preparation service a good deal?
- The Simple Dollar – and other personal finance links
- Fixing published audio problems in Captivate 2
- I’m a casualty of war
- Free music and sound effects for podcasts
- Video: Photosynth demo – awakening to the true power of the web
- Dynamic Image Resizing
- Web 2.0 applications / free conferencing
- Making MP3s playable on a website, the easy way
- A slow day in the world of computer usability reporting
- The disfiguration of beauty
- Podcasting for corporate training example – how I did it
- Wikiâ€™s in a corporate environment
Well, what do you know… that list turned out longer than I thought. I probably wasn’t as judicious as I should have been in a couple categories, but I really think most of those posts don’t get the traffic they deserve – especially the Corporate World/Learning set, though I know the audience for that is limited.
Anyway… I hope you click through to at least a couple of them. It’s been a fun experience to write this stuff for the last three years, and I hope it hasn’t been too boring for you (but then, no one’s forcing you to read this… unless you’re my wife).
Also, if you have any suggestions for things you’d like to see here in the future, please let me know in the comments. I really do like feedback.