In the 7 day challenge, today’s topic is: Answer one question I think people visiting my blog may have.
Let’s be honest: I have no idea what question you guys/gals may have. Y’all need to speak up more for me to discern that.
So that leaves me with a choice – I can come up with some completely self-serving question like “what’s the best post you’ve written?” or I can make up something that allows me to talk about something I want to talk about.
I don’t really feel like doing either of those, so let’s go with this: “how geeky are you, really?”
Well, let’s look at the evidence:
- I’ve never worn a costume while attending a Sci-fi convention.
- I have attended multiple sci-fi conventions.
For most of you, that’s probably all you need to know, isn’t it? It won’t matter what else I list. That second bullet puts me squarely in geek-dom. For the rest of you, though, let’s go on.
- I can quote from Babylon 5, Star Wars, Star Trek, and many other sci-fi properties.
- I listen to movie commentaries.
- I read comic books.
- I wanted to be in the A-V Club in high school (but I wasn’t – though I’m not sure if this is an argument for or against geekiness)
- I’ve done programming and scripting in the past.
- I understand the parts of a computer.
- I still wave my hand at motion sensitive doors to â€œopenâ€ them with The Force.
- I own some Star Wars technical manuals, and have read them cover to cover.
- Iâ€™ve slept out to buy tickets for The Phantom Menace. At 4 in the morning in that parking lot I played Star Wars Trivial Pursuit against the other gathered geeks and won.
- I momentarily considered changing our wedding date when I realizedÂ Attack of the Clones was premiering that week — and while that was only a fleeting thought, I did make her stop to watch it on the 10-hour drive home from our honeymoon.
Now, I could go on but I think I’ve made my case. I consider myself a geek. But I recognize that there are some more hard-core geeks out there who may disagree and want to obsess (somewhat geekily) about the level of my geekiness. So I put it to you to vote:
Feel free to back up your vote with derision, praise, or general observation below in the comments.