This is the kind of stuff that keeps sucking me back into the world of Star Wars gaming. I LOVE this stuff.
I have no idea how the actual game experience will be for “The Old Republic” – all I know is that these cinematics look Awesome, with a capital “AWE”. There are three now, that I’m aware of. “Deceived”, “Hope”, and “Return”.
Here’s everything I know about the story these trailers introduce:
- The Old Republic time period is at least 1000 years prior to the Star Wars movies. There are a lot of Sith and Jedi running around.
- The Sith “homeworld” is Korriban – the retaking of Korriban by the Sith is shown in “Return”.
- Darth Malgus is the pale bad guy who’s apparently running the show (at least by the end of “Return”).
- The Sith, under Malgus, are making rather good headway against the Jedi and the Republic forces.
- The woman Jedi seems pretty important. She’s got a lightsaber blocking skill I’ve never heard of before, shown in “Hope”.
- Coruscant is the capital of the Republic, and the Jedi Temple is there as well. That’s where the “Deceived” trailer takes place.
Bioware makes a heck of a trailer. They do a great job of pulling from the movies to put enough familiarity in to draw in a fan of the films (most prominently in “Return”), throw some more subtle references in for the deeper fans, and then blow it out into a visual explosion of pure cool that reflects what a lot of fans wanted the movie prequels to provide. In the films we got a taste of it with the fight against Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace, and these trailers take that tease and expand it into a satisfying feast of a battle.
Here they are in the order I think they should appear (based on the development of Malgus) – which is the opposite of the order in which they were released.
Feast your eyes….
I’m telling ya… these trailers make me want to run out and buy The Old Republic. They also annoy me for showing me what “Revenge of the Sith” could have been. But that’s a whole different post.